Friday 26 June 2015

LET'S TALK DEVOLUTION

At the risk of being labelled naive, I admit that it was not until recently that I got a clear understand of the ongoing devolution process.(like every youth in Kenya is well conversant with the term-do no judge me!) The irony of all this is that the media played no part in contributing to my new pool of knowledge. It took my friend five minutes to interpret . The government fish for such complicated words when relaying simple information to the public; they should really think of looking into that if the information is intended for every common mwananchi. 

 courtesy of https://evertb.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/corruption_664345.jpg

The devolution process is intended to spread out power to the local government; housing a decentralized power system. It explains the 47 county governments. This appears to be quite beneficial seeing that it provides enhanced checks and balances. For one, it encourages public participation which ensure leaders are held accountable for service delivery. With active participation from the citizens in the governance process, quality of leadership is expected to improve (at least that's what we are hoping for, though at this point I have more hope in seeing a  rabbit dancing to the yoga song  than that happening).

Secondly, with a decentralized government, funds will be distributed according to county needs. This saves the country sums of money lost in ghost projects since the local goverments will be held accountable for expenditure of respective counties.(I long to see that happening, but oh well,dreams are valid). And have we forgotten the growing public debt and the pending wage bill??

 Now I tried interpreting the Devolution Working Paper Series but Yawa! The media should chambua that document for us! But who am I to tell the media what to do? I hate on the media too much yet they are my prime source of information. Pardon me oh people who earn salary through the brown-envelope journalism system. Najua tu Mpesa (pun intended). 
courtesy of cartoonstock.com


I have to commend the government for the developed agricultural sector and the roads rehabilitation process; even though the floods dealt thoroughly with some roads-potholes. (This is why Lamborghinies cannot be driven in Kenya- that and plus our red hot economy most times seems to highly favor the elite). 

Devolution does have it's downside. It is quite expensive to initiate. Seeing how we have to maintain the leaders' lifestyles off our pockets in the name of tax, I wonder to what extent the devolved governance can be actualised before the funds disappear into some rabbit hole. I need to travel a bit, being in Kenya all your life sometimes numbs your dreams of ever seeing a corrupt free government. (going off topic, again!)


Moreover, Kenya falls short of capable governors and sufficient support from the central government. Case in point is the recent internal wrangle involving county governments and the national government to attain national revenue. Sometimes I watch news while munching on popcorn- it is an unfolding telenovela. The popular impeachments which set the agendas aback are becoming too much! (Just remembered the Hii Ni Drama Video- suits the situation).

Now you know what I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment